My Letter of Gratitude 2010

View original letter here: CLICK

When I look back at this year I am in AWE! It has been a year of SHARING and CARING. A year of EXPANDING and DEEPENING ourselves - both as eternal STUDENTS and EXPLORERS of life, and as HUMBLE and NEUTRAL Guides. It has indeed been a year of remarkable transformation!

As we entered 2010 we were active in 2 prisons: Brandvlei Maximum and Goodwood Medium. Through the year committed and valued team members/guides have taken the process with them as they transferred to other prisons: Worcester Medium Prison, Brandvlei Medium and Brandvlei Juvenile Prison are all active with THE RESPONSIBLE INDIVIDUAL today. Recently we have had another two team members transferring to Malmesbury and Voorberg Prisons. The journey will show us the way...

I am reminded that we might sometimes ‘think’ we know where this is all leading us – however – we have indeed only seen a tiny bit of what is still to come. It is profound when we can ALLOW the process to take us, instead of us controlling the process. It asks of us to TRUST in ourselves, to pay attention to the guiding VOICE within and to LISTEN to the messages that our journey avails us. Before acting we check in with ourselves to make sure that we operate from LOVE instead of FEAR.

In 2010 we have WELCOMED many wonderful new team members / fellow coach students and community builders to walk this INTRIQUING path of RESPONSIBILITY:


  • We are now 18 active coaches/students inside South African Prisons: Luyanda, Sibabalo , Thando and Welcome. New: Andrew, Malcolm, Bradley, Brian, Mlandeli, Lumkile, Thembalethu, Malixole, Collin, Franklin, Ricardo, Johannes and Louis.

  • There are 2 active coach students in our Re-Integration Programme for Ex-offenders in Cape Town: Chris and Farouk, (both assisting our youth process as well).

  • 2 active coaches assisting facilitation in prisons plus youth/re-integration programme: Meeghan and Karina.

  • 1 active Senior Community Builder (also part of our Re-Integration Programme) in Nyanga Township: Thabo and 5 active Youth Community Builders: Ivan, Shawn, Mo D, Bulelwa and Bianca – all involved in our Youth and Holiday Programme.

  • 2 active coaches in Denmark: Diana and Vivian.


The SmilingOne Family is growing daily. Each one of us a VALUABLE and truly UNIQUE puzzle piece – not one without the other! This year I have come to understand more than ever how CONNECTED we all are... < >

I realize that the more I add to me and my learning, the more I add to the UNITY! As I heal ME, I heal YOU – as YOU heal YOU, YOU heal ME.

MY VULNERABILITY

used to be what I feared the most
used to be what I could not face
used to be what I called weak

IT FELT SO MUCH EASIER
TO ESCAPE

I was trying to be somebody else
trying to hide behind masks
covering up the scars
of my past

I WAS TOO SCARED

What I did not know
What I did not understand

MY VULNERABILITY WAS THERE TO TEACH ME
Beyond fear lies love
Beyond weakness lies strength
Beyond separateness lies wholeness

BEYOND...

I chose to risk to be guided
by what I feared the most
MY VULNERABILITY
Standing naked
Not knowing
Listening
...
I felt like
coming
home

I suddenly realized

MY HEART
KNOWS



As we bid 2010 farewell and welcome 2011 I walk PROUD in my vulnerability and understand that it has become my greatest strength. It is where I feel the most connected to everyone else, it is where I give of myself fully, unconditionally. May each one of you find the gift of your own vulnerability. It is not only there to teach you about yourself – also about others!

This has indeed been one of the great teachings in our activated CIRCLE OF CHANGE for the YOUTH of The Nyanga Township (since July 2010). Vulnerability we see every single day and we see how so many try to hide it away - ‘surviving’ instead of truly living. We are there to inspire LOVE, to add spice to LIFE and to assist building bridges instead of walls. We have joined hands in PARTNERSHIP with the Nyanga Community, the Nyanga Artists and with the Nyanga Cresch. It is our vision to EMPOWER a whole community as we strive towards a HEALTHY, GREEN and SAFE South Africa – one heart at a time!

I realize more than ever that it is the small steps that counts. Each one of them counts! Inspiring CHANGE is not rocket science. It starts right here with ME! And as I have experienced with the YOUTH - it is the quality time I spend, the hugs I give and the love I share that truly matters. With this we establish a platform of LOVE and TRUST and from here we can build anything that a heart desire!

This is a beautiful reminder to take with us in all our relationships... BE there with all of your heart! Each step counts!

I wish each one of you a peaceful and tranquil festive season – you have it all within! Thank you for the gift you are!


In Gratitude
Karina


A SPECIAL THANK YOU TO OUR 2010 SPONSORS:



THE SHOUT FOUNDATION

THORP MOTOR GROUP

ABC Press, That’s Africa, International Cablemakers Federation, CTICC, Dave Thorpe, Asset Print, LRC, Eben Human / Assignment3, Ashton Gardner, Marguerite Holtzhausen, Gisele Cadieux, Aslam Bava, Maureen Dugmore, Glenis Du Toit, Fernando Smit, TransformationWithin, Khosi Myaka, Lorraine Forbes, Laura Lykkegaard Selander, Peter Kater, Amanda Kropman, Brian O’Shea, Phillip Dexter, Nouchy, Stephan Kloppert, Gas Appliance Centre, David Untiedt, Susan Daly, Christine Hansen, Vaughan McGee, Eva Georgia and Family, Naomi Norwitz, AD, RDA, TeenFest, Craig Prins, Debbie & Bruce Prins, Joy Manual, Karina Andersen...